Suggested paper topics
PHIL 112 ETHICS – L. Shanner
DUE: FRIDAY DECEMBER 11, 2020 (last day of semester)
USE YOUR TEXTBOOK as your primary resource, supplemented by lecture notes. You are welcome to add additional directly relevant materials, but please focus on course work first. Talk with me if you have any questions about sources and/or redirecting your topic.
· Length: 700-1000 words (about 3-5 pages).
· Please no cover pages – I’m using my own printer and paper
· Be sure your name is on the first page or header!
· Double spaced, standard font and margins.
o Single-space and indent lengthy quotes or bullet-point lists.
· References can immediately follow the end of your essay (to save my paper and printing), or you may have a separate bibliography https://myhomeworkassister.com/blog/ page.
· Save as Word or PDF document
Turning it in: Either upload to VIULearn > Assignments or email to me with a subject line indicating your paper is attached. Do NOT send it by reply to an email I send the class – it gets lost in the inbox that way. Do NOT send me to Google docs or other dropboxes.
Goals: Focus on a specific, limited aspect of course material covered so far, and work with it until you can decide whether you agree with it (partly or strongly), or perhaps how it would apply to a certain type of case. Why are some ideas or authors making more sense to you than others? What good reasons can you offer for me (or others) to agree with your assessment? (It does not matter whether I actually do agree with you or not! I’m looking for clarity in your reasoning). You will not solve these difficult, venerable questions. Making progress on understanding them and fitting pieces together is excellent work.
Citations: Any standard citation format is acceptable (APA, MLA, Chicago Manual, etc). My personal preference is footnotes or endnotes rather than in-text parenthetical (like this) references for readability, but APA style is fine. https://trustedessayhelpers.com/essayquestions/
· Acceptable Bibliography format:
o Daniel DeNicola Moral Philosophy: A Contemporary Introduction (Peterborough ON: Broadview 2019) p. 87.
o Laura Shanner “Ethical Theories in Bioethics and Health Law” in M.J. Dykeman (ed) Canadian Health Law Practice Manual (Toronto: Butterworths 2000). Chapter 1, s. 1.11.
o Laura Shanner, lecture slides “Utilitarianism 1” October 5, 2020, #8.
· PAGE NUMBERS ARE ESSENTIAL. Each citation for a quote or paraphrase should give the specific page number where the quote is found. For parenthetical citations: “…but can they suffer?” (107).
· Be very clear about whether you are quoting an original author quoted in our text, or the editor of our textbook. Credit the person who said it, then give the citation to the edited or 2nd-hand source.
· Page numbers refer to the textbook, not the original publication date of the original work.
· Note that APA simplified a few things last fall: No need for “Running Head:” headers. First author’s name only, instead of a list of names, even in first parenthetical reference.
Essay Topics: Choose ONE of the following topics. If you want to write on a topic other than one of these, you need to discuss it with me first.
Buy an essay in any subject you find difficult—we’ll have a specialist in it ready
Ask for help with your most urgent short tasks—we can complete them in 4 hours!
Get your paper revised for free if it doesn’t meet your instructions.
Contact us anytime if you need help with your essay
APA, MLA, Chicago—we can use any formatting style you need.
Get a paper that’s fully original and checked for plagiarism